Primeval Food Instincts

I've come to believe that most children are born with a primeval instinctive need for chicken nuggets and french fries. I've seen it in my nieces and nephews and first noticed it in my own child when she was around 10 months old. That baby could pick out a McDonald's bag anywhere and would demand to have what was inside. This "need" has now evolved into actual requests for meals.

On Saturday I asked Reagan what she wanted for lunch and she told me "fries". I figured there was no harm in getting her a Happy Meal since she usually eats what we put in front of her and she loves green vegetables so nutritionally I knew she was well balanced. So I toss her in the car and we hit the drive thru. She was her sweet cute self saying "thank you Mommy" once the food was safely in the car. We get home and she joyfully eats her chicken nuggets and french fries. And Mommy is completely unaware that the force behind the request is trying to take over.

Sunday morning we had a really lazy morning and her breakfast ended up being more like brunch. As she is munching on her various foods, a McDonald's commercial comes on TV and the french fry monster awakens. The next thing I know, Reagan is saying, "Mommy, Mommy. I know! I know! Fries! Fries!" and she proceeded to repeat that over and over and over and over and over. When I said "no fries, eat what you have", Reagan pouted and wouldn't eat any more of her food.

Later that day, Daddy, unaware of the brunch episode, walked through the door with a Happy Meal after I was trying unsuccessfully to get her to eat a peanut butter sandwich. She saw that Happy Meal and was so excited. We gave her a chicken nugget and she was saying very dramatically – Mmmmmmmmmmm, chicken, num, num. When she got to her fries – even more dramatically – Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, FRIES, num, NUM! Then the chocolate milk – MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, CHOCOLATE, MMMMMMMMMM! Num, num, NUM! All of this interspersed with many a heartfelt "Oh thank you Daddy!"

It was truly hilarious and I'm pretty sure she will now try to influence every meal to become a Happy Meal!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How She Got Her Name

It's Been Awhile

Chest Pain Scare and Why It Stinks to Be Almost Equally Left and Right Brain Dominant