Updates and New News

Here are a few updates to catch me back up.

1. Reagan still has her paci for nap and night time (and during the occasional public meltdown). She went 3 nights without it and then began demanding it again. I probably could have forced the issue but we all know my soft spot for pacis and her dad is no help to be the strong one there either. So, maybe one day she’ll be paci free.

2. The diaper debacle. Well we seem to have found a combination that works. For nap and nighttime we put a Pull-Up on OVER her diaper (as opposed to instead of her diaper like we had tried) and make sure she is in a one-piece sleeper with the zipper pinned up. It’s a good thing that works because we were so tired of changing that crib!

3. I’ve learned not to ask Reagan open-ended ‘what do you want to eat’ questions because the answer that way is always “Chicken, fries!” Meaning of course, nuggets and French fries. Instead I give her a choice between 2 things or I just ask her if she wants the 1 thing. It was funny though, a few weeks ago my brother, “Unka Payyy” (Uncle Clay) and I took a window shopping trip to our local IKEA store. We had lunch first thing and I asked Reagan if she wanted chicken. Well Clay and I had been talking about how we couldn’t wait to get the Swedish Meatballs for days and she must have been paying attention because her answer was “No! Meatball!” It was hilarious. The best part though was she loved them too!

The New News

Reagan’s language skills are really taking off. She is still hard for some other people to understand but she says lots of small sentences these days. Something that I am impressed with is her ability to use the correct pronoun. If I ask her something using pronouns she does respond correctly most of the time. For instance, if I ask her “are you tired?” She will respond with “I tired”. In typical Reagan fashion, she skipped the pre-testing of pronouns where they get mixed up. It’s been her MO since infanthood. She never really practiced any milestones – she just did them and did them rather well one day out of the blue. She was always on the later part of the normal range but I wonder if that was from practicing in her head first until she was ready to put it to action. LOL One cute thing she does mess up is when we ask her what her name is. She’ll pat herself on her chest and say “My baby’s” instead of Reagan. Apparently we refer to her as My Baby more often than we refer to her as Reagan. She giggles too when she says it so I think she knows what she’s doing.

Then. Just yesterday she really impressed me. We were all out in the front yard and I was talking to her Daddy about how I’ve noticed that she has two common words for bugs. I said according to Reagan there are only two kinds of bugs in this world – anything that flies is a butterfly and anything that walks is a ladybug. She looks up at me from where she was playing and said, “Momma! Bees!” It was like, duh Mom, you forgot about bees. It was hysterical. I was just floored by the fact that she overheard our conversation, understood the context of the conversation and then corrected me where I was wrong. I think I need to start doubling her college savings!

Potty training – We are dipping our feet into potty training. I still think she is too immature for focused effort but one day a couple weeks ago she asked to sit on the big potty. I obliged and she quickly hopped down after a short time and nothing happened. I figured it was probably a good idea to get her a training potty to have available for any times that she might want to work on the training. The first night she was SO excited about her potty and wanted to run around naked so she could keep sitting on it and trying to go. Eventually that fun wore off and it became more fun to toss the ball into the potty instead. Despite many reminders that if she needs to pee-pee she should sit on the potty, she peed a big puddle next to the potty while playing with the ball in the potty. Now the potty sits in various spots of the living room being completely ignored. BUT, during bath time one night I caught that I’m-about-to-poop look on her face and I plucked her up and onto the big potty. She seemed a little scared to continue but by then she really had to go and one tiny turd escaped. Well Mommy acted like that little turd was made of pure gold and I praised the heck out of her. That in turn caused her to want to make more so the gates opened and the party began. We called Daddy in and Uncle Clay in and everyone marveled at the accomplishment. She kept saying “I did it!” and it was adorable. We stood in front of the potty staring and dancing and when I asked her if she wanted to flush it she said no. Apparently she wanted to look at it a bit longer before finally being ready to flush. A few days after that I thought she might need to go again and plopped her on the potty and we caught a pee event. She thought that was pretty funny and we did the “PeePee in the Pot-tay” song and dance all through the house. Since then there has been no major efforts but that is okay. I am sure she’ll potty train herself when she’s ready. If not, we’ll work on it when I think she’s for sure mature enough.

Well that’s it for my long catch-up post! Hopefully I’ll post more frequently again.  Especially because I am excited to talk about her emotion recognition!  It is so cool to watch them develop and grow!

Comments

Jacqui said…
sounds like Reagan is doing amazing! she reminds me a lot of Violetta, in the way she does things. :)

Popular posts from this blog

It's Been Awhile

How She Got Her Name

Chest Pain Scare and Why It Stinks to Be Almost Equally Left and Right Brain Dominant